Paul R. Williams Apartments/Angelus Funeral Home
The Angelus Funeral Home, initially founded in 1922, grew into one of the most successful and prominent African American businesses in Los Angeles. In 1934, master architect Paul R. Williams was hired to design the company a new facility on Jefferson Avenue, which they occupied until 1951 when they moved to a new building on Crenshaw Avenue in response to a similar geographic shift in clientele. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.
Hollywood Community Housing Corporation rehabilitated the former Angelus Funeral Home building and constructed new affordable housing on three adjacent parcels to the west, creating the Paul R. Williams Apartments, a 41-unit multi-family residential development. The historic building was rehabilitated to house management offices, community spaces, and seven new residential units. HRG worked with the project team to review the proposed rehabilitation of the historic building, assess the compatibility of new construction on the project site, and complete the entitlements process. The project received federal rehabilitation tax credits.